It feels like just last week I was off gallivanting around Europe, and yet somehow I am already preparing to head on yet another trip home to Edmonton and then to Jasper for a wedding. When it comes to travel, I used to be the kind of person who would bring literally everything with me. There wasn’t an eye cream or skin elixir left behind no matter where I was going. This often meant I had an entire duffel bag of beauty products with me whenever I went on vacation. I strongly believed that just because I was traveling doesn’t mean I should be cutting corners in any aspect, be it how I dressed, or my beauty routine. While I still haven’t changed my mind about maintaining a proper skincare & beauty regime while away… I have learned to cut it down a little to more of just the essentials. This means instead of lugging both a day & night cream with me, I settle for a really good cream that works for both. Instead of bringing a spot treatment (just in case) I’ve learned to use toothpaste on the go, because hey it works and this means I have one less thing to lug with me. While cutting down has not only simplified packing for me and lightened the load (all though bottles get heavy and can seriously wrack up the lbs in your suitcase quick!), there are just some things that I’ve been using lately that I could never leave behind..
These are all tried, tested and true products that I’ve been using over the last couple of months that I am seriously in love with and have been dying to share with you. I couldn’t think of a more perfect time to share them than now, as I’m packing to jet off on yet another trip. Every single one of these have not only become a staple in my routine, but the first things I packed because I know I just couldn’t get through a week of travel without them. While some of these products are more specific to travel, others are simply staples in my beauty routine that made it to the top of the list of things I need with me at all times. Hope you enjoy my summer beauty travel essentials!
- bareMinerals Original Foundation: I was extremely skeptical when I first received the bareMinerals Original powder foundation to try out, especially because I’m more of a liquid foundation type of girl. Over the years I’ve grown to love the flawless finish my Makeup4ever HD liquid foundation gives me, and the coverage lasts all day with zero need to re-apply. All that could go through my mind was how was a powder going to give me as much coverage? How was a powder going to actually stay on my face all day, especially in summer, and not melt off when it’s hot out? But then I tried it. The mineral enriched powder is weightless, it goes on smoothly, it provided a flawless finish that compares with a liquid foundation… and even after a full day out and about (in the sun included) it looked exactly like it did when I first applied it. My skin was so much happier because it could breathe, and I was happy because it looked no different than the foundation I was used to using. A weightless powder foundation is perfect for summer because it gives your skin an opportunity to breathe when you sweat the most, especially in a humid city like Toronto. The container is small and light, and did I mention it has SPF-15? Now that’s a summer travel beauty staple if I’ve ever seen one.
- Dermalogica Stress Positive Eye Lift: This little piece of magic deserves it’s own post entirely. Being someone that naturally has bags (and I’m not talking the designer ones in my closet) thanks to genetics, I’m always on the hunt for anything and everything to reduce, cover, mask, or hide them. I’ve tried just about every caffeine infused, firming, cover up eye rollers known to man. For the past few years I was using one from the Body Shop which I quite liked, but then I got the opportunity to try this one. Dermalogica’s Stress Positive Eye Lift not only reduces the appearance of dark circles, but it de-puffs, firms, and lifts the skin under your eyes. Sounds too good to be true right? It isn’t. After I put this on (before any lotion or makeup) my bags disappear, the skin tightens, I look less tired, and I look like I got the sleep I didn’t actually manage to
get. Although I use it every day, it comes in extra handy on those days that I’m super tired, hungover, jet-lagged, or just haven’t gotten enough sleep. It’s a miracle cure for those tired eyes, so if you’re having one too many cocktails on the beach but still need to get up early the next day and sightsee, you know the Dermalogica Stress Positive Eye Lift has you covered.
- Full Exposure Travel Palette: When it comes to my eye makeup routine I’m the kind of girl that keeps it simple. I know what I like, and I don’t generally stray from that. That means I’ve got my favourite go-to shadows that I’ve learned to love, and I use them on repeat. Unfortunately for me this means I’ve got about 4 different palettes (including one of those massive all-your-face-makeup-in-one palettes) and I use one eyeshadow from each. I knew before I headed to Europe that I wanted to get a smaller sized palette just for travel, rather than take 4 different palettes with me. I bought the Smashbox Full Exposure Travel Palette at Sephora and it was a savior. Not only did it free up a ton of room in my makeup bag, but it simplified the getting ready process, and it’s so tiny it fits in anything. It’s got all the neutral colors you need for daytime looks, plus some fun shimmery golds and bronzes for night looks. I highly recomend getting yourself a travel sized eye shadow palette, and set it aside just for trips! Mine has been tucked away safely and I didn’t have to think twice about what eyeshadows I wanted to bring with me this time.
- Vichy Idéal Soleil Ultra-Light SPORT SPF 60: I don’t need to go on and on about the importance of wearing sunscreen or the harm the sun causes your skin, this is something we all know more than enough about. Vichy’s Idéal Soleil Ultra-Light SPF 60 is the perfect sunscreen for travel (or anytime really) because not only is it a high enough SPF to really protect you from the suns rays, but its a sport sunscreen (meaning water and sweat-resistant) that is meant for both your body AND your face. This means your face gets the same heavy duty protection your body does, but without having to lug two different bottles with you. I used this sunscreen the whole time I was in Europe and loved it. It’s super light, goes on just like a regular lotion, doesn’t smell, and didn’t clog my pores whatsoever. I love simplifying, and I love that Vichy made an amazing sunscreen that’s tough enough for your body, but gentle enough for your face. This has quickly become my favourite sunscreen, and not a day goes by that I don’t apply it. Here’s a bonus: it can be applied on wet or dry skin! Great for those beach days.
- Clinique X Jonathan Adler Pop Lip Colour: I’ve always been a sucker for a good lipstick, and not a day goes by that I don’t wear any. Lately I’m just loving the Clinique x Jonathan Adler collaboration Pop lip colours, and I couldn’t think of a more fun lipstick to add into a summer travel beauty essentials post. I’m never seen anywhere without lipstick on, whether it’s a simple nude or a glamorous red. I love the fun packaging of these, and they come in such great statement colours. My favourites are the 3 limited edition shades inspired by Jonathan Adler’s favourite destinations: Palm Beach Pop, Capri Pop, and Santorini Pop. The lipstick itself has a creamy texture, vibrant colour, and amazing staying power. Whether you’re lounging by the pool in Mexico, exploring the city streets of New York, or sipping wine in Tuscany, these lipsticks have you covered.
- Viviscal Hair Nourishment System: These will be getting their own post further down the line, but I was just too excited about them to not share them in this post. I’ve been using the Viviscal Hair Nourishment System supplements for the last two months and although results are only guaranteed in 3-6 months, I’ve been seeing a huge difference in how quickly my hair has been growing. For the first time in my life people are actually saying “wow your hair is getting long!” which is something that till now I had only dreamed of hearing people say. I have always had a really tough time growing my hair since it’s so brittle and dry (downside of being a natural blonde) and Viviscal has been a dream. My hair is growing so fast and is finally getting to the length I’ve always wanted it. These are something I will continue to take long term, and definitely something I would never travel without!
Just add your favourite pair of sunnies, a statement case for your phone, and a cute pouch to carry it all and you’re ready to jet off to your next travel destination!
What are some of your beauty essentials when you travel? Would love to hear in the comments below!
Shop This Post:
BareMinerals Original Powder Foundation // Dermalogica Stress Positive Eye Lift // Smashbox Full Exposure Travel Palette // Vichy Ideal Soleil Ultra Lightweight Sport Sunscreen // Clinique x Jonathan Adler Color Pop Lip Color // Viviscal Hair Nourishment System // Sunglasses – Aldo // Phone Case – Casetify // Makeup Bag – Chapters